Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sweet Tea.

This post is dedicated to my very favorite southern young man (if one considers Atlanta southern).

Sweet tea was never something I was fond of.  To be honest, it made me sick.  My stomach could not take all the sugar and I much preferred it to be unsweetened or just not drink it at all.  I met, well not really met but began falling for with without actually meeting (another post sometime in the future), my very favorite southern young man and he quickly tried to tell me that a Yankee could never make sweet tea and he would never come for a visit if sweet tea was not something he could get up here (in Minnesota).  I tried to explain that it just wasn't something we preferred up here.  His response, "all y'all are crazy....I could drink a gallon of sweet tea each day".

My recent trip to Georgia allowed me to give sweet tea a second chance.

During my 1st day in Georgia (this was Thursday) I consumed 10 glasses of sweet tea.  These 10 glasses were to wash down the extensive amount of southern food which I consumed.  Nonetheless, I was hooked.  Although I was sick to my stomach, literally, I gave sweet tea another shot Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  This little body most-likely consumed its entire weight in sweet tea, all during a 5-day trip to Georgia.  It was the first thing I drank when I landed and the last before boarding to go back to Minnesota - I even got upset when the ATL airport cafe I was at did NOT have sweet tea ready.

He would be proud to know that sweet tea and I have rekindled our relationship and I have made my very first pitcher of sweet tea this evening.  With a southern Georgia recipe :)

Southern Sweet Tea

3 cups water
2 family-size tea bags (I used 4 regular size bags)
3/4 cup of Splenda (one may use 1/2-1 cup sugar as well as any sweetener)
7 cups cold water
  1. Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a sauce pan; add tea bags. Boil 1 minute; remove from heat.  Cover and seep 10 minutes.
  2. Remove and discard tea bags. Add sugar and stir until dissolved.  Pour into a pitcher and add 7 cups cold water.  
  3. Serve over ice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment