Thursday, September 23, 2010

Popovers + Patience

My Grandmother is the queen of making popovers and coincidentally after ten beautiful children she is most certainly the most patient woman I have had the pleasure of being around.  She has the ability to walk into a room and command the attention of every person without uttering a word. She is the definition of a true lady.  I get my sense of style from her and recently two hand-me-down dresses from the weddings of two of her children.  Her inner beauty glows so bright and each word she speaks is kind and gentle.  Our phone calls revolve around "Grandma remember when" or "tell me Danika, has Prince Charming found you" or "oh I miss you so much". 

She and I share a love for many things, among those are wearing dresses, hosting dinner parties, dancing and her popover recipe.  If you have never had a popover consider yourself to be missing out on one of the most simple food pleasures available.  These little pieces of mouth heaven are a staple for every meal at Dangerfield's (another one of the loves my Grandmother and I share) and one of the most requested at any dinner with my family (most often my Momma).

Although simple and few ingredients go into creating a popover, the time it takes to prepare and bake these little creations is extensive.  Popovers require patience.  If my Momma could give my future Prince Charming one piece of advice she would say "have patience please".

Simple Popovers
  • 1 cup flour (I love using Wondra)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 eggs at room temperature (you can roll your eggs in warmer water 3-4 times if you do not have time to let them sit)
  • 1 cup of milk at room temperature
  • 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
  • 1-2 Tbsp chilled butter diced into pieces
  • 1/4 tsp sugar
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 450. 
  2. Spray your popover pan with nonstick butter (Pam or use shortening inside the cups)
  3. Place pan in center rack of oven and heat for 2 minutes.
  4. Blend flour, salt, milk, butter, eggs + sugar for 1-2 minutes until all ingredients are blended.  Use a hand mixer (my Grandmother swears it makes a difference) until your batter is resembling a heavy cream.
  5. Place diced butter into popover cups and fill the cups with batter evenly. 
  6. Sprinkle top of batter with sugar (just a little bit) or cinnamon or both if you are feeling it! 
  7. Bake for 20 minutes at 450.  Reduce heat to 350 and bake for another 13-15 minutes.
  8. DO NOT under any circumstances open the oven - these little guys fill with steam to make them pop.  Thus the "popover" effect.
Your popovers will deflate so I recommend serving them straight out of your oven.  Throw into a basket with a colorful napkin or dishtowel and presto...you have perfection.  Get daring and mix up room temperature butter with honey (measure to taste) or use your favorite jam to spread!  

One of the most beautiful things about cooking is the patience it teaches you.  The older I get and the more life I am able to live, I begin to appreciate things such as patience and reliability and the ability of another person to be truly genuine and giving.  My Grandmother has instilled in me this phenomenal ability to find and appreciate these things in other people. 

If only I am able to age as beautifully as she has...

XOXO (all the way from Minnesota),
Danika

1 comment:

  1. Love your posts on the lovely ladies in your life...your mother and grandmother! Fun to read your stories! ~Chris Ann

    ReplyDelete