Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Southern Charm.

I had the most incredible five days in Southern Georgia this past week(end).  Adel, Georgia to be exact.  I have spent quite a bit of time in the area but never did it consist of such an immersion into "southern charm".  My best friend (Allison) is as southern as they come.  This grits lovin' blonde is everything which best defines southern.  She and her husband Cleve have a beautiful home in the country a short way out of Adel.  They are expecting their first child this October (hopefully earlier).

I learned quite a few things during my time in the Deep South.  Here are a few of my favorites:

  1. The correct pronounciation is:  "peecans" not "peecons".
  2. Grits, all different kinds, over power the oatmeal in the cereal isle at any grocery store.
  3. Speaking of grocery stores, y'all have created names which make me giggle.  (Piggly Wiggly)
  4. Dove hunting is HUGE.  And no, not the white colored kind (I asked).
  5. Rabbit can be eaten. 
  6. Corn on the cob is sensational deep friend.  I mean really sensational.
  7. Drinking too much sweet tea in one sitting will make you sick.  Literally. 
  8. Boston Butt is incredible.
  9. Southern women talk more than I do.  Even more when y'all get together in groups.  I had to take a breather!
  10. Southern men truly still exhibit chivalry.  I will marry a southern young man. 
  11. I can tell the difference between a cotton field and a peanut field.  
  12. Boiling peanuts smells so incredible. They must be boiled for at least 1 hour 15 minutes with plenty of salt and water to cover.  
  13. My blackberry gets no service in Cook County, GA.

No comments:

Post a Comment