Thursday, September 9, 2010

Falling for fall.

One of my favorite seasons in Minnesota is fall.  Don't get me wrong, I love heat and humidity and would rather live down south.

If you have never experienced the cool and brisk mornings, changing colors of the leaves or an apple orchard I highly recommend an October visit to this state.  My favorite things about fall include:
  1. Apple Orchard and Pumpkin Patch visits.
  2. Baking.  Nothing says fall quite like the smell of apple and pumpkin pie fresh out of the oven.
  3. My riding boots paired with tights. I love being able to break these out on weekends with a plaid skirt.
  4. Football.  Who doesn't love spending Sunday afternoons in an NFL jersey eating hot chili or stew with homemade cornbread.  
  5. Leaves.  I cannot begin to explain how beautiful it is to be at our lake home during the fall.  Mother Nature has straight up outdone Crayola on this one.  
  6. Morning runs.  There is no getting too warm on these hour long ventures.  
This weekend marks the Sunday each year (for the past two years) that I make our first "Fall Family Dinner".  Each year I create a new menu which makes my momma's kitchen smell divine.  I joke that this is the time when my mother loves me the most and my future husband will decide he cannot live with out me (i.e. this girl can cook).  On the menu for Sunday:
  • Brunswick Stew:  this southern recipe I stole and revamped during my plane ride home from Atlanta this past weekend
  • Cornbread:  no chili or stew is complete without it for dipping.  This time I am making it two ways: (1) in the oven with my grandma's recipe and (2) pan frying to crisp perfection.
  • Vegetable:  undecided.  Suggestions welcome!
  • Apple Pear Pie with Cornbread Crust served with vanilla bean icecream (NOTE: my mouth is watering with delight as I type)
  • Blueberry Yum Yum:  Allison's grandmother created this recipe and with her blessing I took it back with me to share with my family. After all, what is a proper dinner without two desserts choices to serve your guests! 
  • Hot Apple Cider:  complete with cinnamon sticks to stir.
  • Sunflowers for a table centerpiece in blue vases.  
Keep watch for photos from dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment