Monday, August 30, 2010

Song, Song of the South

I leave Thursday morning for Georgia.  I could not be more excited about being back down there to see my two best friends.  A little history goes into this long journey...

My senior year of high school (I am aging myself slightly - 2002) I was one of only 300 chosen to attend a scholars program in Washington DC.  After seven days of pure bliss I left with a long list of contacts and two of the best friends a girl could ever ask for - both of whom will someday be in my wedding. 

Allison is the Georgia Peach of my life. She is pure southern and a truly beautiful person both inside and out.  She commands the attention of a room by simply walking in.  Her momma is retired school teacher and her daddy a cotton farmer.  Allison was born and raised in Morven, GA and attended school in Dixie.  She and I were inseparable during my time at Florida State University.  We spent countless weekends together and share so many memories.  Unfortunately, after moving back to Minnesota, we lost touch and just this past year (with a little help from FB) found each other again :)  She is now a wife and mother-to-be. 

Meghan is close to identical to me....less my blonde hair and the addition of her dark hair.  She is as happy as the day is long and never leaves the house without lipstick and pearls.  Meghan is the only daughter of Panama City/Boston parents - both of whom are incredible people.  I spent my very first spring break with Meghan in Panama City Beach and we have MANY memories (most which shall never be shared) from those seven days.  Meghan and I both attended Florida State University to study Political Science and as with Allison, we lost touch after I moved back.  She is now working at the top (actually running :) a lobbying firm in Tallahassee, FL.

These five days back down south will be filled with so many of the experiences I miss most...back to my second home.  I have my top 5:
  1. Waffle House - this is my FAVORITE place to eat. Ever.  
  2. Sonic - I will not leave without stopping for dessert.
  3. Grits and Sweet Tea - Allison has been instructed to put her feet up the entire time I am there (she is 7 months pregnant).  Thus, I will be taking on the task of cooking.  Southern Woman for the weekend :)
  4. Football - Friday night :) nothing like a taste of southern football.  You all do it much better than we do up here.  
  5. Peaches - not sure if they are in season but I want a fresh one.  
XOXO,
Danika

No comments:

Post a Comment