Sunday, December 12, 2010

Cream Corn Casserole

My grandma makes the most insane Cream Corn Casserole known to man.

I know most of y'all are saying "woah woah woah....hold your horses little princess just what makes her casserole so great?" Well, it again isn't the basic 3 ingredients that go into this but it is the life lesson she intends on giving me each time we make this casserole together.  The little ways she always hints that my bottom is nice and round and "have I been eating enough or too much" and the little ways she always hints that she isn't going to be around for so much longer and she would sure love to come to my house, meet my husband and buy my little girls dresses before she dies and the BEST life lesson "do not push the crackers so hard into the bottom of the casserole or you'll never get them out....didn't I teach you anything?!"

WE usually end up giggling because I look at her, bat my blue eyes, pout my lip and say "but Grandma I am trying so harrrrdddd to do it just perfect like you!".  She walks away laughing or pushes me to the side and says "here let Grandma show you" just like she did when I was a little princess in her kitchen and pats my bottom as she goes.

SHE has this unique ability to make cooking simple.  And life too.  She is a no bullshit lady and rules our kingdom with diamonds and great shoes (I hope y'all are shaking your heads in understanding of why I am the way I am).  The woman could make the Queen of England shush with one look.

CASSEROLE is like the bible in our family.  No family function is complete without it....sort of like Church on Sunday. Cream Corn Casserole is a tradition at almost every family meal and without it at least someone asks where it is and why Grandma didn't make it this time.  The recipe is so simple....I think anyone could make it but there is a particular type of pan (color and all) that all generations of my family make it in (that's the secret I keep telling myself)....and over-the-top delicious.

Grandma Shirley's Cream Corn Casserole

6 cans cream-style corn
4 sleeves of saltine crackers (finely crushed)
4 sticks unsalted butter (the real stuff please)


  1. Get your casserole dish out!
  2. In a gallon size ziplock bag, finely crush one (1) sleeve of crackers (I use the can to do the crushing instead of a rolling pin just to limit the amount of "things" I have out at any given time).  Be sure to flip the bag over a few times to ensure all the crackers are crushed.
  3. In a microwave safe container, melt one (1) stick of butter.
  4. In a bowl, mix the melted butter and crushed crackers with a fork until all crackers look saturated in butter (love cooking with butter).
  5. Spoon the mixture into the bottom of your casserole dish.  DO NOT press in firmly like you would with a graham cracker pie crust.  Simply ensure the mixture covers the bottom of your dish.
  6. Open 2 containers of cream-style corn and pour over the top of the cracker layer.
  7. Repeat this process until you have come to the last layer (which will be the top) of your casserole.
  8. Put a lid on the dish and place into a 350 pre-heated oven.  Bake for 45 minutes, or until the edges of your top layer are bubbling with delight and the top is lightly browned.  
  9. Remove from the oven, let cook for a bit and serve!
The kicker behind this mouthwatering goodness is that y'all can do as many or as few layers as your heart desires.  Grandma says I use "one too many" but I feel the more ooey goodness the better and if I am going to eat this many calories I may as well REALLY eat!  

SO enjoy, don't let Grandma's recipe intimidate and if ever crossing her path....she loves being told her dishes are incredible.  BUT then again don't all women love being complimented?

XOXO (from a very cold Minnesota),
Danika

2 comments:

  1. I love all of the traditions behind certain dishes. Thanks for sharing yours =) I might have to test out this recipe!

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete